Wednesday 4 June 2014

It's Time for a Revolution!

Imperialism is difficult to do. I've come to discover such things through my investigation. I think the biggest problem is that the concept is so broad, and can include so many different things that it becomes difficult to condense the investigation to a good focus question that can be answered in the period of 10 minutes (I would love the entire hour of the lesson, but such things cannot be fairly done).

This has led to a complete revolution of ideas!
I have now chosen to explore the concept of a revolution. It was actually what I had previously wanted to do, but felt uneasy doing it as the last two topics were based on case studies regarding revolution (I also thought Mr Bradbury had said it wasn't wise to do it, but now he's decided he said no such thing. I can't remember the truth of the situation to be honest, but anyway, what matters now is that I can do the concept of revolution).

I thought it would be wise to focus my studies around the factors of success within a revolution. This idea was very much inspired from an old history debating topic 'That leadership is the key factor in the success of a revolution'. I obviously (and unfortunately) won't be arguing that either side is the case, but will be reflecting on the multiple factors within a revolution and from there determining how important each of them are in causing a revolution to take place, and then the level of success from this revolution.

There are a number of factors that many historians discuss as being critical or of significance to the revolution taking place. These generally involve positive or negative forms of leadership, social and economic conditions and the need for change.

Over the next two weeks I am to research a number of historians who will have different viewpoints on the factors of revolution and then compare them together using four case studies.
For the case studies, I am thinking two political revolutions and two economic revolutions. Two I definitely want to include are the French and Industrial revolutions. 



1 comment:

  1. Outstanding blog so far! I actually enjoyed having a chance to catch up on your posts.

    ReplyDelete